Translate

Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Friend and Mentor, Dr. Stephen F. Olford

I was very blessed in the providence of God to know Stephen F. Olford. I first heard him when I was sixteen and I first met him when I was seventeen. For more than 35 years, until his death in August 2004, he was a significant instrument in the hands of God in teaching, mentoring and shaping my life. I am indebted to God for the life of Stephen Olford and for his friendship.
There is no direction in my study room to which I can turn without seeing evidence of Dr. Olford's life. Hanging on my wall, over my desk, is beautiful verse, a dupicate of the one that hung in Dr. Olford's study. It contains a saying by the Scottish preacher, Robert Murray McCheyne: "Oh God, make me as holy as a saved sinner can be.", taken form I Peter 1:16.
The line that I think of most often is the sentence from a letter to Stephen Olford from his father, a line that became a turning point in his life. "Only one life, 'Twill soon be past, Only what is done for Christ will last."
I encourage younger pastors to find an older man of God who has walked with God and attach yourself to him, spend time with him and learn from him.
I was blessed to have known Stephen F. Olford

No comments: